Thursday, October 21, 2010

Collective Energy in a Group: Lesson from a Childhood Game

In doing research for a Squidoo lens just published on a game I used to play at Slumber parties growing up, I realized the game is still popular today.  I found several variations of the game on you tube.  It is not really a "game" per se, but more of a trance inducement exercise, though we would never have thought of it as any thing of the sort at the time.
 
Basically, the game, which we called "light as a feather, stiff as a board", involves one person who agrees to let us "levitate" them by sitting around her as she lays flat on the floor with arms crossed on her chest.  The person at the head of the body tells a story to get us centered and focused on the task. In our case it was usually about a girl our age who was met with an untimely death.  We then begin to softly chant "light as a feather, stiff as a board", and with only two fingers from each hand under the girl, she begins to rise up.
 
This worked sometimes better than others, but it absolutely did work.  Looking back now, knowing what I know, I think I know why it worked.  The energy in the room created by our collective focused attention on one task actually shifted enough to "help" us lightly lift the girl with very little touch.  We were probably not channeling any dead spirits, but we were channeling energy.
 
I have seen that same group energy many times as an adult, At retreats, conferences, and other group gatherings where the colllective attention is focused on the same thing.  It is always beautiful.  I have seen rooms turn an almost golden color with energy, which some do call spirit.  I have seen auras around groups of people during some of these events.Whether the spirit of the dead, the spirit of God or the spirit of our collective vibrating souls, I can attest to the fact that it is possible to create a positive energy when a group gathers for a central purpose and is able to focus all of their energy into one common purpose.
 
Ultimately, I would like to be part of a mastermind group that does this.  So far, all of my mastermind groups have been online, either via skype or chat or other group meeting.  I am not sure the collective spirit can work unless we are in the same room, but I am certainly always open to the possibility!
 

Posted via email from karenlkay's posterous

No comments: