Thursday, May 31, 2007

In Your Name

Have you ever known someone whose circumstances fit perfectly with their name?Back in my hometown there was a foot doctor named Dr. Azarch.
One of my favorite internet marketing gurus is Joel Comm….of joelcomm.com.
Guy at my office, Mr. Poole, frequently wins the office pool.
My wealthiest relative married John Luck.
Famous professional poker player: Chris Moneymaker. I kid you not, look it up!

I even used to be called “Caring Karen” by a co-worker when I was a mental health counselor years ago.
I bet you know someone too who fits their name in some way.
Maybe it’s more like they “live up to their name”.

“What does this have to do with me?” You may ask, since many of you likely have everyday names….


Well, it’s not the name that led these people to success, necessarily. More likely it was the edge the name gave them. You just need to find your edge.


Make up a name: something that suits your goals. Then insert it in-between your first and last name, only known to you if you want, but every time you think, write, speak your name, or even answer to it, imagine your “new” name in there. Joe “man of wealth” smith, Cindy “hard body” Jones, etc.


Mentally say your new name over and over until it truly becomes part of your identity. At the least it could be a fun experiment, why not try it?


Where does this fit into building teams? Well, one of the quickest and best ways to build rapport is to assign someone a special “nickname”. Something that suits their unique personality, yet is bold enough to give them strength. When getting to know your team, think about how to name them. Sally the master list maker, or John the graphics guru.

Tell them you know they will be successful. When they ask why, say “it’s in your name”.

No comments: